Location: Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Year Founded: 1784
Student Body: 2,000+
Number of Nations Represented: 41
Average Student/Faculty Ratio: 16:1
Becker College is a distinctive small college that has long been recognized for its intimate learning environment and cutting edge educational programs. The College continues to strengthen that legacy, gaining national recognition in emerging programs such as Animal Science, Video Game Design and Nursing. Becker College offers both undergraduate and adult learning programs. Becker is a place where students gain the experience they need to contribute to a global society and rise to the top of their chosen professions.
The Game Design program at Becker ranks #9 in the world. As a small liberal arts college, Becker has been able to stay on the cutting edge of the gaming industry as it quickly changes. Graduates from the program go on to work at top companies across the country.
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- American Veterinary Medical Association Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN)
The Becker College campuses in Worcester, and Leicester, Mass. are only one hour to Boston by car or train, three and a half hours to New York City, less than one hour to Providence, R.I., and just over an hour to Hartford, Conn. Becker is located in the heart of New England’s second largest city. Worcester offers a wide range of recreational, cultural, and entertainment options near both campuses, ranging from museums and art festivals to concert venues and professional sporting events.
School of Animal Studies | Education, Psychology & Liberal Arts | Criminal Justice and Legal Studies | Nursing, Exercise Science & Biology | Design | Business | Data Science | Global Citizenship
- Curvin Huber, MFA, M.S., professor of game design is working with students in his Principles of Motion Capture course, using an innovative piece of new technology: Noitom’s Perception Legacy and Neuron motion capture systems. In fall 2014, Prof. Huber ran a course called GPU Rendering, which was in partnership with cloud graphics company, Otoy.
- Richard French, D.V.M., M.S., Ph.D., is Dean of Animal Studies and Allerton Chair of Animal Health Sciences. Dr. French has served as an instructor and collaborator with the USDA, Plum Island Animal Disease Center for 10 years, as well as both the Agricultural Research Service and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
- Vladimir Pistalo, Ph.D, is a professor of liberal arts at Becker College. Dr. Pistalo has authored 11 books and numerous stories. In 2011, his novel Venice was awarded The Golden Hit Liber, given by Serbian National Television to the most prominent prose book published in Serbia in 2011. He was recognized for his bestselling novel with the NIN Literary Award for best novel of 2008, one of the highest honors for Serbian contemporary authors.
- Leah Brault, Ph.D., is chair of the Natural Sciences department at Becker College and an assistant professor of Biology. Prior to coming to Becker, she served as a lecturer and Curriculum Fellow at Harvard Medical School, where she was involved in curriculum development and course improvements for the Department of Genetics at Harvard Medical School.
- Eli Whitney (1788) inventor of the cotton gin
- William Morton (1836) father of modern anesthesiology
- Elliott P. Joslin (1886) pioneer of diabetes prevention, diagnosis, and treatment
- Colleen Barrett (1964) president emeritus, Southwest Airlines
- Edward Fendel (1951) Former head of the NASA Communications Systems Section, Flight Control Division, Head of the Communications Systems Section, Flight Control Division at NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) Johnson Space Center on July 20, 1969 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
POINTS OF PRIDE
- Named by The Princeton Review as one of the nation’s best institutions for undergraduate education.
- Known as one of the top Video Game Design Programs in the world. Named by The Princeton Review among the top colleges in the U.S. and Canada for video game design for five consecutive years.
- Ranked #1 among private undergraduate nursing programs in Massachusetts
- Ranked #1 in New England and among the top-15 producers nationally among four-year private institutions in awarding undergraduate animal studies degrees
- 99% placement rate for employment or further study